5 Dollars

My life as an at-home momma of 3 amazing kids...it's kind of like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

4 years, 6 months, 2 days

4 years, 6 months, 2 days - that's how long Ruby nursed.

She's been skipping days for a while now and I was really feeling ready to be done. (After all, counting her siblings, I've been nursing for 8.5 years straight!) So last week we made a contract.

Here are a couple of pictures of the two of us cuddled up together after she fell asleep nursing for the very last time a week ago Friday.



So, what was our agreement? She's been bugging me for about 6 months now to let her "get her ears punched." I told her if she could be a big girl and not nurse anymore, then she could go to the "Hannah Montana store" (a.k.a. Club Libby Lu) and get her ears pierced. In the past week she only asked to nurse once, and immediately followed the request with saying, "I mean I want scratchy" (me to rub/scratch her back). I didn't even have to remind her that she didn't nurse anymore.

So today we headed off to Libby Lu for the big moment. I was a little nervous about how she'd react if it hurt and praying that they would do both ears at the same time. She was as excited as could be.


She got sprinkled with fairy dust, picked out some sparkly rhinestone earrings and climbed up in the big pink chair. While the ladies cleaned her ears and got everything ready, she was enjoying listening to the Hannah Montana music and watching some other little girls who were dressed up and singing and dancing around. I was busy choking back tears at the thought of how BIG my littlest girl suddenly seemed.


She sat so still and quiet while they lined up the guns to pierce her ears. Not one single noise or even one tear from her. She looked a little surprised when it was done, like she wasn't sure that was all there was to it.

Admiring her new bling-bling in the mirror.


Close up of the rock star in the mirror.


It's a girl thing!

And here she is on the way home with her new bling-bling and her certificate. She couldn't wait to get home to show Daddy, Kaylee and Keithen.




How blessed both of us are that we were able to outgrow her need to nurse together, in our own time.

11 Comments:

  • At 4:04 PM, August 18, 2007 , Blogger Andrea said...

    awwwwwww!!! you actually got pictures! (neither of my older two were falling asleep while nursing when they weaned...that is great you got to cuddle with her sleeping after!)

    and the contrast of last nursing session with getting ears pierced...wow, so much growing up!

     
  • At 4:11 PM, August 18, 2007 , Blogger Carissa said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 4:13 PM, August 18, 2007 , Blogger Carissa said...

    Oops.....made some typos above and had to delete what I was trying to post.

    I forgot to say something about the girl who filled out her certificate. It says "I felt _____ before I got my ears pierced." The girl says to her "do you feel nervous or scared?" when she is filling it out! HELLO! You'll have a lot less crying girls if you don't ask them about negative emotions! How many little girls were NOT scared until she insinuated that they should be?! I immediately asked her "Ruby, are you excited?" and she said "Yes!"

     
  • At 9:33 PM, August 18, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How fun for Ruby to get her ears pierced! She looked so pretty!

    I miss nursing sometimes, it's just so intimate. I know it was the right time when Lilla and I did it though. Still, it's a bit sad. I hope I have another little someone to nurse again someday!

     
  • At 9:50 PM, August 18, 2007 , Blogger Anne said...

    how bittersweet. You made my eyes get teary!

     
  • At 10:30 PM, August 18, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm so happy for both of you. :)

     
  • At 9:16 AM, August 19, 2007 , Blogger Andrea said...

    Congrats on both your final nursing and on getting your daughter's ears pierced - what a big week for you guys! I love the picture of her smiling in the car seat with her certificate. So cute! :)
    Andrea E

     
  • At 2:45 PM, August 19, 2007 , Blogger Ted said...

    Congratulations on reaching another bittersweet milestone. What a little heartbreaker she is.

     
  • At 11:12 PM, August 19, 2007 , Blogger Kristin said...

    How precious.....I remember my "too big for my lap" Chloe nursing her last the night before her 5th BD. I am so thankful I had that time with her and know that it helped her to grow to be the independent, precious young lady that she is! You have given your sweet little one a precious gift!

     
  • At 2:13 AM, August 20, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Carissa: Those photos are so sweet. You know, it's only been about a month since Ansel stopped nursing and he still asks almost every day (sometimes more than once a day), but never cries or throws a fit...just asks and seems satisfied with hugs or snuggles. Anyway, I know all too well the bitter sweet moment....being done but not believing that it can truly be the last time. Since Ansel will be my only baby I birth, I know how difficult it is to know that your nursing relationships are over. But, what a very special relationship it is between momma and baby! :)

     
  • At 11:23 AM, August 23, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aw, Carissa, she does look so big! It's a sad sweet thing. Ginger turned five this week and stopped nursing a year and a half ago. I cherish the pictures I have of her nursing as much as I cherish the moments when she is obviously feeling very big and proud of herself. Congratulations, mama! As I tell Ginger, you had a nice long run.
    Shellie

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home