5 Dollars

My life as an at-home momma of 3 amazing kids...it's kind of like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

When Gifted Kids Don't Have All the Answers

A couple of excerpts from the book I'm reading, When Gifted Kids Don't Have All the Answers: How to Meet Their Social and Emotional Needs -

Facing Personal Challenges
by Frank Davies, fourth-grade teacher
We talk a lot in our class about having PCs - personal challenges - and we have spent time on discovering what our own PCs are. I strongly advise my students that facing their won PCs is far more important than learning curriculum (but don't tell my bosses at the South Australian Education Board!). Their PCs might be getting out of bed in the morning, or learning their multiplication tables, or it might be how to learn to follow your own dream. They know that they have my quality support in achieving their PCs. The other stuff is important as well, but what's the point of filling them with curriculum if their heart doesn't sing and they don't feel in control?

and.....
from Amber, age 11
You should forget about those silly State tests and just teach us what you think will help us grow. We'll do fine.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:46 PM, July 14, 2006 , Blogger Granny said...

    I read this the other day but my head was drooping on the keyboard.

    Amber is smarter than most of the geniuses who came up with NCLB.

    You're on one side of the equation with gifted children and I'm on the other with special ed; yet we agree.

    The system is broken

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home