5 Dollars

My life as an at-home momma of 3 amazing kids...it's kind of like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

SYTYCD 6/11 - The top 20 FINALLY!

A lot of surprises for me last night.

Rayven & Jamie went first with a hip-hop routine from Napoleon & Tabitha to "American Boy." I thought they were pretty well syncronized and had decent energy, but it just wasn't at all memorable. Their faces were WAY too muggy for me. And why in the heck did they have her pants him? What was the point in that? What a low note to start the show on. Blech. I did like the second half of the routine a bit better. It was a little more aggressive and more interesting to watch. Maybe I'm just used to some hard-hitting Shane Sparks hip-hop instead of what Napoleon & Tabitha are throwing at us? Like Beckyloo, I think most of their choreography feels a bit more like jazz with some hip-hop thrown in for seasoning.

Susie & Marquis were next with a Smooth Waltz to "Dark Waltz" courtesy of (I think?) Hunter Johnson. Beautiful lighting, beautiful costumes. So-so movement. Their lines were pretty decent and I felt Marquis had nice body tension. He carried himself very nicely and seemed mascaline and in control. That lift was so awkward though. Nigel is really crazy if he thought the audience didn't catch that. It was B-A-D. And I didn't think Susie really had the rise and fall to her movement that I was looking for in a waltz.

Kourtni & Matt danced a jazz routine to "Tainted Love" choreographed by Mandy Moore. Oh how I wish they had been given just a little more time to practice this! I really liked the piece - very sexy - but they just didn't hit it quite hard enough. They did have the little details down with some nice hands. The lifts were a bit slow and heavy, but she's no small girl to be throwing around like that! I also felt Matt's coat was a bit too difficult for him to deal with. The pockets were obviously not easy for him to access for the little props that he was given and it flapped around behind him too much.

Chelsea T. and Thayne got stuck with Tony Meredith's Cha-Cha. Simply put, she was hot and he was cheesy. I felt he was a bit heavy-footed. Not a Thayne fan going into tonight and still not sold on him.

Chelsie H & Mark had the great luck to draw Mia's Contemporary interpretation of Tim Burton's wedding danced to "Beautiful." Wow. Loves me some Mia! I was very excited when I saw the spoiler that Mark would be clay in Mia's hands this week! While the costumes were very appropriate to what Mia was trying to portray, that skirt was a bit too much foof to deal with at times. I wish it had been just a *tad* less so that it wasn't a distraction from the dancing. (Sometimes I found myself watching "the foof" instead of the dancers.) The lighting and costumes for this piece actually worked together so well. (Did you hear that?! ME complimenting the lighting on this show!?) They achieved a nice, mono-chromatic look that really reflected the feel of Tim Burton's movies. The dancing was very nice. Loved the part where they rolled over each other on the floor. Their faces were wonderful - especially when he was whispering in her ear. Mia of course made genious use of Mark's quirky abilities (a little Hok-like homage there?). The lifts looked so effortless. BUT.....here's my gripe on this one. The camera work - again! PLEASE OH PLEASE let me not be complaining about camera work all season again? There was a point where Mark nearly danced out of the frame. There was a point when he picked her up and it was shot from below so all we got was a nice shot of her butt and all the foof.....no faces at all. Great. Work on that, will you guys?

Twitchington (a.k.a. tWitch & Kherington) drew Broadway with Tyce this week. They danced to "Too Darn Hot" and man was it! I was actually very excited about seeing that these two had been paired together and put with Tyce. I had high hopes and I was *not* disappointed! They hit it! They were connected and emotive and FUN to watch. His toe touch was awesome. No way would you have believed that this was a hip-hop dancer. I can't wait to see what else they throw at tWitch on his way to the top 10!

Comfort & Chris got Jive with Tony to "Boom Boom." This should have beenhot, but not so much. I really went into this hoping to like Comfort. She was far too upright and I thought maybe it was a bit slow overall. This couple certainly needs to gel a bit more. I hope Comfort sticks around because I want to see more of her.

Katee & Joshua were next up. When I heard that they got Tabitha & Napoleon's Hip-Hop, I was expecting that Josh was going to be saving her behind. I really wasn't feeling her after the attitude last week. Then they intro'd the piece. He was going off to war as they danced to "No Air." WOW. My favorite piece of the night. I ate my words about Katee. Her dancing was a tad week at the top, but her acting still sold it. And once Josh joined her, they both really hit it. They were connected, well syncronized and really told the story well. This piece totally got me teary-eyed both times I've watched it. It felt natural and effortless. Loved the way he regained his center so easily after she pulled him up by the leg. They are currently *the* couple to beat. Don't be surprised if we see this number again as one of judges favs on the final show of the season.

Jessica & William had Hunter Johnson's Tango. With such a hard act to follow, they were really under-whelming to me. I really love William and I hope that this number doesn't hurt him. I want to see him around for a while! The judges called her on being wobbly on her heels. I just want to point out that they are constantly telling the Hip-Hop girls how great they did for not being used to dancing in heels. HELLO.....Jessica is a Contemporary dancer. She is used to dancing in her bare feet and feeling the floor under her. Yeah, she wobbled a little.....can you give her the same concessions?

Courtney G and Gev got a Disco routine to "Boogie Wonderland." Let's just say they were no Neil and Sarah. It felt very "dancing by numbers" to me. It needed a lot more polish.

My bottom three prediction -

Courtney G & Gev - Rayven & Jamie - Chelsea T. & Thayne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home