5 Dollars

My life as an at-home momma of 3 amazing kids...it's kind of like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

It's a small world after all.....

I thought I was done posting for today until I read something that Ann over at Roc Rebel Granny posted. She mentioned working for a couple of different steamship lines in the past. I asked which one and she replied below in my post about Jason's new baby.....

Granny:
I had that job in the early 60's. It was States Steamship Company. All but two of their vessels were named after states. The remaining two were the C.E. Dant and the M.M. Dant named after the owners (I think those names are right; it's been a while).

They were white with a bright red seahorse on the stack.

When I worked for the brokers (also in marine) I did a lot of work with American President Lines and Matson, among others. Matson may be the only remaining US flag line.

Sad.


Well, because it really is a small world, my exclaimation when I read her response nearly woke the kids. My husband is Matt Dollar, second cousin 4 times removed of Robert Dollar, founder of the Dollar Steamship Line which became the American President Lines in 1938.

Here are some pictures of the kids from the summer of 2003 when we went to San Francisco. You can see them in front of the Robert Dollar Building and also in front of some models of the Dollar Steamships.







2 Comments:

  • At 11:06 PM, July 05, 2006 , Blogger Granny said...

    Wow. I walked by the Dollar building every day and of course I knew the history of $ and APL. I may have even worked in that building at one time. I was all over the financial district.

    No wonder you asked.

    I always loved marine even when I was just typing cargo manifests and bills of lading. I could daydream my way around the world without leaving my desk.

    Thanks for the headsup on your post.

     
  • At 11:13 PM, July 05, 2006 , Blogger Carissa said...

    Matt and I are still giggling.
    :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home