5 Dollars

My life as an at-home momma of 3 amazing kids...it's kind of like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

How does our garden grow?

For the first time ever, we've attempted to do some planting in our backyard.

We have a small garden plot beside the mini-barn with tomatoes, grape tomatoes, red, green and yellow bell peppers and mint growing. Kaylee is also growing sunflowers in that bed behind the garden plants.

We've planted four-o-clocks in a semi-circle around the edge of the patio. I noticed today that they are starting to get buds on them so they'll be flowering soon! I remember spending so many hours playing among my great grandmother's four-o-clocks, enjoying the flowers and hunting for the seeds so I could take some home with me. Matt has slowly been working his way around the patio with ground cloth and mulch to finish off those beds. He's maybe half-way done. Last weekend he put in stepping stone paths leading from the patio into the yard. We gave him a chimenea for Father's Day and he's got it set up on the lower end of the patio now. We haven't had a chance to burn it yet.

We also have pots with marigolds, African daisies, yellow dahlias, fushia plants and impatients in them. The kids are also growing a patch of wildflowers down by the lake. I think I am slowly killing the dahlias, but everything else seems to be immune to my black thumb and growing pretty well.








4 Comments:

  • At 11:46 PM, June 29, 2006 , Blogger joanna said...

    Beautiful garden! I planted the following: Hydrangeas,Iris,Jasmine,Marigolds,Tulips,Roses,Morning Glories,Baby's Breath,Daisies,Sunflowers
    Spices:Lavender,Chamomile,Basil,Parsley,Bay Leaves,Ginger,Mint,Thyme,Caper,Chives,Dill,Devil's Claw,Garlic,Mustard,fennel,Lemon Grass,Nutmeg,Primrose,Rasberry,Sage,Saffron,Tansy
    Vegetables-Tomatos,Potatos,Corn,Aurugala,Spinach,Asparugus,Squash,Peas,Kale,Rappini,Cauliflower,Cabbage,Broccoli,Brusselsprouts,Watercress,avocodoe,cucumber,Lentil,Peanuts,Soybean,Black Eyed Peas,Okra,Rhubarb,Shallots,Carrots,Radishes,Sweet Potatoes,Turnips,Juniper,osemary,Olive,Celery,Cinnamon,Catnip

    I am still working on my garden. I love gardening. Do you have any herbs?

     
  • At 12:43 PM, June 30, 2006 , Blogger Carissa said...

    Our patch is pretty small. The tomato plants dominate most of it. The grape tomatoes are doing well. I hope the regular tomatoes grow. So far we've had blooms but no fruit starting on it yet.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, July 01, 2006 , Blogger joanna said...

    This stuff right here works wonders: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=192522-446-192522&lpage=none

    for small gardens. That is what I use for mine.

     
  • At 6:06 PM, July 01, 2006 , Blogger joanna said...

    I LOVE tomatoes in salads and lentil soups. YUM-O! I need to plant some peaches,grapefruit,apples,blueberries,and some blackberries. What other fruit do you plan on planting?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home