5 Dollars

My life as an at-home momma of 3 amazing kids...it's kind of like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Study on kneeling during childbirth

I am so often amazed at how common sense the results of many of these studies seem. A study from Sweden reports that women who kneel during childbirth experience less pain than those who deliver in a seated position.

Do we really need someone to tell us this? Kneeling would get the spine into a better position than sitting and move the tailbone out of the way.
When a mother is upright or in a forward leaning position, the angles and internal dimensions can change dramatically to allow the baby easier passage through her pelvis. Like squatting, kneeling is probably likely to open up the pelvic outlet a bit better than many other positions. Oh yeah, then there's also that little thing called gravity that helps when the mother is upright!

Before male doctors stuck women into beds with their feet in stirrups, most women labored and birthed in upright positions. Native American women traditionally kneeled, leaning forward and clinging to a tipi pole or a tree. In Africa it was common for the woman to kneel with her legs wide apart and her heels supporting her own perineum. In many cultures a woman would sit another's lap or squat between a support person's thighs. Birth stools and chairs evolved from these lap-sitting and squatting positions.


I do have to note that there is an error in the article linked here. It states:

However, the duration of the active phase of labor (the time spent pushing) is similar with the two approaches, according to the study, published in BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.


The active phase of labor is NOT the pushing phase. "Active labor" actually refers to the cervix being dilated >4cm and the mother having regular contractions.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:41 PM, March 08, 2006 , Blogger thordora said...

    thank you for the Red Party link on Blogging Baby. I've been wanting stuff like that for when my girls are older so they'll have the rite of passage I never had.

    And I LOVE the name Ruby. I fought the good fight for that or Miriam with my last daughter, and I lost! :)

     
  • At 6:08 PM, March 08, 2006 , Blogger Carissa said...

    Thordora -
    Thanks! There has been a Ruby or a Reuben in nearly every generation of my hubby's family. :)

     
  • At 8:21 PM, March 09, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello,

    I wandered over here because I appreciate your thoughtful comments on bloggin baby. The I saw that you were a fellow Hoosier, so I had to say "Hi!"

     
  • At 8:24 AM, March 10, 2006 , Blogger Carissa said...

    Jessica -

    Thanks for stopping by! Always interesting to meet another Hoosier blogger. I'll have to check out your site too!

     
  • At 7:50 PM, March 14, 2006 , Blogger Unknown said...

    I used a birthing chair and it was HORRIBLE. By the luck of the draw my Grandmother was the OB nurse on duty when I had my son. I got in the chair...they strapped me in....I advised my grandma that I did NOT like it and she said "To late you are already in it" I think if I had any other nurse then my grandmother they would be have been kind enough to let me out. Grandmothers are not sympthatic OB nurses!!! She probably wanted to keep me in the chair to teach me a lesson for being such a bratty daughter to my father. LOL OH and I had my other children laying on my back the old fashioned way and the upright position did not feel one bit easier! Course he was almost a 10 pounder.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home