5 Dollars

My life as an at-home momma of 3 amazing kids...it's kind of like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Prayers for abducted journalist Jill Carroll

Back in high school when I thought that I might end up working as a journalist. I was the editor of my school paper and attended HSJI at IU every summer that I could. I wanted to be a serious journalist, covering big issues.

When I was a Junior on a field trip with the marching band, we visited the National Cathedral where I saw a candle lit for Terry Waite. He had been taken hostage while trying to negotiate the release of a journalist who was being held by the Islamic Jihad.

I remember feeling saddened and confused that people would take their issues with other countries out on the innocent jounalists who were there simply trying to provide the world with accurate information about what was going on. How unfair it seems that journalists, who are supposed to be neutral parties, so often get swept up into these situations, taken hostage and used as pawns. They should be free to report the news without fear of becoming a target.

Jill Carroll is a freelance journalist working in Baghdad. She was on assignment for The Christian Science Monitor when she was abducted January 7, 2006. Carroll's kidnappers have threatened to kill her unless the United States releases all female Iraqi prisoners. The deadline for the demand is roughly midnight Friday.

CSM Senior Editor David has been quoted as saying, "It would be wrong to murder someone who has devoted herself unselfishly to promoting understanding of the Iraqi people."

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jill Carroll and her family.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:38 PM, January 19, 2006 , Blogger Lisa :) said...

    I will pray for Jill.

    Curious, did you follow through with journalism? if not, why? just curious! :)

     
  • At 9:03 PM, January 19, 2006 , Blogger Carissa said...

    I started out college as a journalism major with a theatre minor. Then I was working for the campus paper and got sent to write a preview on a show the theatre dept was doing. I realized how much I missed it and how well I fit in over there. I became a double major after that, but my focus was on theater for the rest of my time at BSU and that's what I did before the kids were born. I worked at The Phoenix Theatre downtown until about 3 weeks before Kaylee was born.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home